Sesto al Reghena

[ 40m BY CAR ]

The Town of Sesto of pre-Roman origin saw its greatest development thanks to the foundation of the Benedictine Abbey in the first half of the eighth century and the Langobard donation of 762, which was followed by many others. In 899, it endured a devastating invasion by Hungary and was rebuilt and fortified from 960, taking on the appearance of a fortified medieval castle with a defensive system made of towers and moats.

In 1420, it went from the Patriarchate of Aquileia straight into Venetian domination until the Commenda was suppressed in 1784. The basilica has remarkable Giotto school frescoes, the urn of Santa Anastasia preserved in the crypt, the fifteenth century Vesperbild and the Annunciation from the year 1300. In the Abbey Square, you can admire the City Hall, where the abbots used to reside, the Abbey Chancellery, the seat of civil power in medieval times, and the 11th-12th century belfry, only survivor together with the Grimani tower of the seven defence towers once surrounding the monastery.

 

Info: https://www.turismofvg.it/en/villages/sesto-al-reghena?LangSetCMS=en